Former Roy candidate charged with rape of teen

May 7 2014 - 4:16pm

Images

Keven Conaster, archive photo from 2011 Roy City Council election.
Keven Conaster, recent Weber County Jail mugshot
Keven Conaster, archive photo from 2011 Roy City Council election.
Keven Conaster, recent Weber County Jail mugshot

RIVERDALE -- A 52-year-old former Roy City Council candidate faces prosecution on charges of raping a 16-year-old girl during a party at his apartment in Riverdale.

Keven Conatser is accused of rape and forcible sodomy, both first-degree felonies, in addition to two counts of exposing a child to drugs, both third-degree felonies. Riverdale police booked Conatser into Weber County Jail in April after allegations surfaced about his behavior in December with two teenagers at his apartment near 1550 W. Riverdale Road.

Wednesday in 2nd District Court, Conatser's scheduling hearing with Judge Brent West was postponed by two weeks to 9 a.m. May 21. In that appearance, he and his defense team are expected to enter a decision as to whether he will waive his preliminary hearing.

A witness who attended a party of Conatser's told police he had locked himself in the room with a 16-year-old girl during the party. Conatser later exited the room and bragged to those present that the girl "was a freak in the sheets," according to the probable cause affidavit in the case.

The alleged victim was later contacted by investigators and corroborated the witness' statement, the affidavit stated. The girl told investigators "that although she wasn't forced, she felt she had to have sex with (Conatser) to prevent her and her friends from being kicked out while extremely intoxicated."

The girl also revealed to police she and Conatser performed oral sex on one another.

Another teenage girl, aged 15, told police the alleged victim is her friend and that the two were both at the party. She confirmed the 16-year-old's story, the affidavit states, and said they were both given alcohol and marijuana while at the party.

Conatser's bail was also discussed Wednesday. He is currently involved in a civil restraining order trial and a block had been placed on his $50,000 bail. Conatser's bail status was still under review by 2nd District Court Judge Ernie Jones at the time of his Wednesday hearing.

Conatser ran for city council in Roy in 2011. The Standard-Examiner reported his occupation as a "self-employed beautician" at the time.

Conatser told the Standard-Examiner at the time that he wanted to improve business on 1900 West. He additionally supported halting funding for police department improvements.

"We have way too big of a police force," Conatser said then. "We do not need to hire any more."

He finished last out of five candidates that year with 504 votes.

Contact reporter Ben Lockhart at 801-625-4221 or blockhart@standard.net. Follow him on Twitter at @SE_Lockhart.

From Around the Web

  +